Thursday, 30 September 2010

Project Near Completion (1)




A Poncho.

Pattern: the simplest 'granny' square that all girls in Estonia have to learn in Year 6.
Crochet hook: 3.5 mm
Yarn: JIL from Germany, 100% pure new wool

Design: those colours are not 'my' colours at all. But I chose them when I became interested in the so-called Moroccan colour scheme (dark blue - turquoise - white - beige - dark brown - and-all-the-colours-of-spices, etc.). Blue is my favourite colour, so a lot of my clothes already are different shades of blue (and because I am a gloomy Estonian, I have a lot of blacks and grays too, sigh). I decided to choose something from the other end of the spectrum to make it less boring.

Project: I started this poncho many years ago. Sometimes, I would only crochet a few squares a month. Sometimes, half a year would pass without any squares. This was partly due to the fact that I was busy with my studies, but also because I didn't take this with me to Australia whenever I went there, so it just waited for me patiently in my apartment in Tallinn. The obvious problem is that the squares are not all the same size, because it's very difficult to try to keep the same tension in your crocheting 'handwriting' for years on end. I'm hoping that blocking will help a bit. If not, let's just call it a poncho with character :) When I have to keep an eye on Marco, or read books to him, or play with him, it takes me about 10 minutes to finish a square. And there are hundreds of squares in that poncho... I am most determined to finish this in the immediate future, preferably before it gets too cold to wear it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment